Welcome To My Blog!

Adventures--how do you define one? My life has been full of adventures of all kinds-some exciting, some stressful, some funny, some exhilarating--this blog will share some of them with you.

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Good Thing I Was A Girl Scout!

"Be Prepared" is definitely worth following in February! Taking care of the animals is  no fun in the winter. Yesterday the wind chill was 9 degrees. Brr!! Thanks goodness for my barn. The cold came a day earlier than I expected, but I had everything close by. I had shavings by the stall doors and a good supply of hay. The insulated water buckets were clean and ready to be filled. Electric tape was on the water pipes and and I dripped the water just in case the electricity went out during the night. I drove the golf cart right up to the door and once I was inside out of the 40 mph wind, it wasn't as bad. I filled the insulated water buckets in the stalls, mucked, put down fresh shavings, fed the cats, gave the horses their grain and extra hay, and headed back to the house. I tried to dry Moe off (he had been out in the sleet), but he was too spooky (unusual for him) I think the wind was making both he and Bochica nervous. Bochica, however, had stayed under the overhang or in the stall and was perfectly dry. Smart horse! He learned his lesson a few years back when he got wet and it turned into ice! The cats were up in the hay, all cuddled up. Rufus went out, did his business, and came right back in. I didn't even take him to the barn. The electricity had gone out while I was feeding, so I was a little concerned that it would be out for a while. I had bought a rick of wood after the last snowstorm, so I knew I could build a fire in the fireplace and warm my main room. I had also bought extra propane, so I could cook on the grill. But thank goodness, I didn't need to do either. Playing pioneer doesn't sound like as much fun as it did when I was younger. The electricity came back on after about an hour. Good for you, Lamar Electric. I spent the day playing "catch up" in the house. I cooked, did laundry and worked on my taxes. It is cold again today (high to be in the 20s). I plan to do less work and more fun things (read, watch a program on horse training  and watch the birds). I have birds all over my yard-even where I am not putting out seed. I believe they must be eating seed from the Virginia Pine cones. I counted 15 Cardinals in one spot--also several different sparrows, goldfinches, nuthatches, woodpeckers, etc. Fun watching them! I sure wish I had gotten meal worms for the bluebirds. Anyone have any ideas about something else I could put out for them??Hopefully there are cedar berries. At least I live in Texas, where the cold doesn't last long. By the weekend it should be back in the 60s. I'm more than ready for Spring!!

No comments: