Welcome To My Blog!

Adventures--how do you define one? My life has been full of adventures of all kinds-some exciting, some stressful, some funny, some exhilarating--this blog will share some of them with you.

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Library Garden

My latest adventure--leading a gardening group at the library for  home schooled children in our area. I am excited and just a little nervous! I have always grown flowers, not vegetables. But how difficult can it be, right?  Even though I work part-time at the library, I'm donating these hours  as a Texas Master Naturalist in order to fulfill my service hours for the year.  What a fun way to acquire these hours!

My first thought was that I'd better do some reading. Luckily our library has many great books on gardening. Check out our web site--you can see what is in our library--www.rrlibrary.blogspot.com.

After getting some great ideas, I then visited the local feed store, Rick's Farm and Home. Rick was kind enough to donate seed and peat pots, and one of his staff gave me pointers. So the next snow day I planted peat pots with carrot, lettuce and radish seed. Easier said than done. I was all fumble fingers--those pots are so small and the seeds kept sticking to my fingers! But luck was with me.

                                                                          My Little Radishes


                                                                         Baby Lettuce

The children will transplant these and also plant seeds when the garden soil is ready. Our plan is to also grow carrots, beans, sugar snap peas, tomatoes, and some flowers.

The group will also learn about soil through hands on activities, make paper pots, make plant necklaces, play games, etc. Stay tuned for further updates!! Our first class begins on Thursday. Any advice or suggestions will be appreciated. Please feel free to comment!!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I'm ready to see how tomorrow goes!