Welcome To My Blog!

Adventures--how do you define one? My life has been full of adventures of all kinds-some exciting, some stressful, some funny, some exhilarating--this blog will share some of them with you.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Salsipuedes Garden-Bucket List Item


One more item crossed off my bucket list! At least I hope so.

For years I have thought of trying to grow my own vegetables, but only planted tomatoes which didn't do well. But last year my tomatoes finally produced as I expected and I also grew a few bell peppers. This year, as you know, I am leading a children's  garden group. That inspired me to finally plant a garden here at Salsipuedes. I purchased food safe barrels at the local feed store. A kind man  sawed them in half for me. I filled the barrels 3/4  full with topsoil and added composted manure and humus. Now I was ready to plant, but had to wait for warmer weather. Yesterday was such a beautiful day, and after checking the weather for the next week, I decided to go ahead and begin my planting. We will see if I'm too early. I'm sure this will be a huge learning experience! Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated!

Three barrels planted--one to go


Today I planted carrots, lettuce (I may be too late on that), yellow squash, cucumbers (I may be too early), sugar snap peas, bell peppers,  and one tomato plant. I will purchase more tomato plants today and also bush beans. I covered the barrels with screening to temporarily keep my barn cats out.

Strawberries and tomato

I can already envision my bounty! :) Wish me luck!!

No comments: