Welcome To My Blog!

Adventures--how do you define one? My life has been full of adventures of all kinds-some exciting, some stressful, some funny, some exhilarating--this blog will share some of them with you.

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Bluebirds!

Bluebirds are easily my favorite birds. They seem like such a friendly bunch! Last year I had three broods in my bluebird house. A pair has chosen my first nestbox this year. The second one is still empty. I have signed up to be a "nestwatcher" and will report to Cornell University. This should be a very interesting experience.

I began watching the birds build their nest a couple of weeks ago. It seemed as if the whole family was working--either that or two females with their mates. I waited a while and then opened the nestbox to check and take a photo.

This is a skyscraper!





I managed to get this little movie clip of the mama and papa. He seems to be guarding the nest while she brings in material.


Then two days ago I checked the nest.  I tapped it to make sure mama wasn't inside and then carefully opened the side.  There were three little blue eggs. What fun!

I'll try to hold the camera steadier next time!


I'll check the nest again this afternoon to see if there are more eggs, and then begin counting days to estimate when they will hatch. Stay tuned!



No comments: