Welcome To My Blog!

Adventures--how do you define one? My life has been full of adventures of all kinds-some exciting, some stressful, some funny, some exhilarating--this blog will share some of them with you.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Salsipuedes Garden-My First Harvest

Exciting day! Even though my lettuce was rather small, I decided to pick enough for a salad.


Black seeded and buttercrunch lettuce
And am I glad I did!  I added a few bites of chopped tomatoes, cucumbers and feta cheese, then drizzled it with just a tiny amount of balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Mmmm-I had forgotten how good fresh home grown lettuce was! Definitely worth the effort.

My first salad from my lettuce!

 The two varities I grew this year were black seeded and buttercrunch. Both had a mild flavor. Next year I shall plant more and place them in a shadier spot to help them last longer in the heat. It would be nice if they would hold out until my tomatoes were ready, but I don't know if that is possible in this Texas heat in the summer. Salad will definitely be on my menu every day as long as the lettuce lasts!

As you may have guessed, I tend to go overboard with my hobbies/interests. Now I'm into gardening and already planning a larger one for next year.

On another note, the garden project that I'm leading at the library with the children as my Master Naturalist project is doing even better than mine in some areas. The tomatoes there are about 5 times as large--maybe containers aren't the way to go.

Hurry up garden--grow! I'm ready for more vegetables!!
Stay tuned.

No comments: