Welcome To My Blog!

Adventures--how do you define one? My life has been full of adventures of all kinds-some exciting, some stressful, some funny, some exhilarating--this blog will share some of them with you.

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Berries for Bluebirds


I'm learning to appreciate the variety of my species of trees. Each seems to serve a different purpose. For instance, the much-maligned cedar:



I've been concerned about my bluebirds as winter draws closer. Due to the drought, most of the berry producing plants didn't produce this year--even the poison ivy mostly died out and forget the beauty berries! 
But as I was taking my usual tour of the pasture, I noticed that my largest cedar was loaded with berries! People (me included) complain that the cedar takes too much water from the area, but  it does feed and shelters my bluebirds. It's thick branches offer protection from the snow and the berries provide nourishment. So, cedar tree, I'm glad I have you.




Could we humans learn a lesson from this?


Stay tuned!

No comments: