Welcome To My Blog!

Adventures--how do you define one? My life has been full of adventures of all kinds-some exciting, some stressful, some funny, some exhilarating--this blog will share some of them with you.

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Colombia-A Dream Come True-Hacienda San Jose

I was sad to leave the Santa Clara, but little did I know that an even better adventure awaited me! We took a short flight to Pereira.  Our host met us at the airport and whisked us to a magical place--Hacienda San Jose.

Look at those bougainvilla!
This beautiful home was their family's IXX century mansion, soon to be turned into a small boutique hotel. Our hosts were presently  living there. The home is listed on the historical register of Colombia; therefore any restoration was strictly monitored. The walls of the bottom floor were  made of rammed earth and bulls' blood.

 I've never felt so welcome anywhere.  Hacienda San Jose was owned by mother and son. The son served as our guide and friend. Lucky for me he spoke fluent English. Others there spoke only Spanish. I did get to practice my Spanish a lot!  What fun!

I could get used to living like this!  The minute we walked out of our room in the mornings we were served coffee on the balconies. Then we were served a huge breakfast on the veranda - wonderful food - fresh picked fruit, our choice of eggs, meat, etc., all served on tables set with china and silver. Any time we sat down we were served refreshment and snacks. Dinner was a more formal affair in the dining room featuring traditional  Colombia dishes..

When I commented on all the beautiful and valuable objects left out, I was told that they considered their guests to be like family.

I felt myself relaxing more every day we were there. But for now, let's take a tour--

My bedroom

Other side of bedroom



My bathroom

Dining Area

Buffet

Look at those beautiful anterium freshly plucked from the garden!

Lovely!

Notice the inlaid wood ceilings throughout!

Lounging area with music

Lush!

Wow!

Our Breakfast Area
I have a table and chairs like these in my home!


My daughter-in-law on balcony of their bedroom

They keep their tack, polished to perfection,  inside

Pool area

Relaxing!

Flowers everywhere!

Grounds

Another view of grounds

Sitting area outside my bedroom
From this relaxing sitting area I gazed with amazement at this wonderful tree. This photo does not capture the magnificence!

This tree definitely gives great shade!
Notice the open windows everywhere--no air conditioning. They close the heavy shutters to the rooms around 4:00 p.m. and it stays comfortable enough to sleep and avoids mosquito bites. There are no bugs in the daytime. We went when it was their winter season--I wonder what it is like in the summer--I believe they have basically the same temperature all year long--I'll have to check!

More adventures to come--I'm sitting here by the pool waiting to begin!
Ready for my horseback ride!

Stay tuned for my horseback ride through orange groves, pineapple fields, bamboo forests, . . .



























No comments: