Welcome To My Blog!

Adventures--how do you define one? My life has been full of adventures of all kinds-some exciting, some stressful, some funny, some exhilarating--this blog will share some of them with you.

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Colombia - A Dream Come True -- First Stop-Cartagena



I guess my fascination with South America began when I was a child, studying geography. I'm not sure why it called to me, but it did.  I had always loved going to Mexico.  Then when I studied Spanish in high school, I felt an even stronger pull toward that part of the world. My first major in college was Spanish and  the language seemed musical to me.

It's funny how things have come to pass in my life. I believe I mentioned in a previous post about my son becoming a foreign service officer and having a tour in Bogota. When he invited me to come visit, I was fearful because of the drug problem there and the violence. As I said earlier, he convinced me to come by telling me he knew a man who owned a Paso Fino and agreed to let me ride.  The deal was done, as they say, at that point. :)

I'll leave it to others to tell you about the history, politics, etc. of Colombia. I'll share with you why I came to love it.

As I disembarked on the tarmac in  Cartagena, I immediately felt as if I had come home. Unlike in the U.S. and elsewhere that I had traveled, the passengers strolled toward the terminal. Wow-- an easy walk for me!! I resisted the urge to hurry and joined the strollers. This was my kind of place! These slow, languid movements proved to be the rule rather than the exception in every place I visited in Colombia.

I did notice a strong presence of soldiers in the airport - they smiled and said hello (in Spanish of course).

I had an even better surprise coming. My son picked me up from the airport and after the obligatory search of my luggage, we took a taxi into Cartagena. We drove down a narrow street and the taxi stopped in front of a nondescript door. Little did I dream that this was the place that I would come to view as the best hotel in the world (at least for me). This sign was posted by the door.
My front door was  painted this shade of blue!

As we walked through the door, I took note of a guard with a dog, who was sniffing the luggage. I felt grateful for the security. A white clad waiter holding a tray of pretty drinks served us as we waited to check in. The hotel absolutely took my breath away-I felt as if I were in a dream. My favorite architecture--my favorite colors--wide verandas with comfortable chairs,  beckoning to me to sit and relax, lush gardens, etc, Spanish spoken everywhere, etc.

Veranda
I've had walls this color in my homes for 20 years! Arches bring me immense peace. Synchronicity??

Veranda leading to our room
Poolside in the evening
Each time I walked out of the room, sat down on the veranda or by the pool, a waiter immediately came and asked how he could be of help. Delicious snacks and drinks!! I had my first Mojito and my first  Michelada there. On a hot summer day I sometimes drink a Michelada in memory of the Santa Clara.


lush gardens
There was even a toucan who perched in a chair next to me and looked in the cushions for berries.

Toucan

This was only the first day and already I knew that this would be the best vacation of my life (sorry, Europe!) Before, Italy had that honor.

Stay tuned for my next adventure in Colombia--trade winds, a wild boat ride and beautiful scenery.






No comments: