Welcome To My Blog!

Adventures--how do you define one? My life has been full of adventures of all kinds-some exciting, some stressful, some funny, some exhilarating--this blog will share some of them with you.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Colombia - A Dream Come True - Shopping Day-Cartagena

I know you must be wondering--didn't she shop in Colombia?? Well, yes, I did. Even though I had decided to save my money for a Paso Fino! :)

We took a carriage ride to the open air market. Along the way I snapped a couple of photos.

A whimsical balcony!

That's one heavy door!

There's my blue color again!


Arriving at the market

 I was a little disappointed in the selection--I guess because the cruise ships were not docking, shops were not stocking heavily. I did stumble upon a neat item, though. A mola bag! My favorite was this one:
I love this bird!
I also bought a t-shirt with a mola design. The t-shirt is no longer wearable, but I saved the design. Any ideas as to what I can sew it onto??
Waiting for an inspiration!

But the best shopping was yet to come. That afternoon we went to a jewelry store in search of emeralds. My son had called ahead for an appointment. I've never been to a high end jewelry store in the states--I wonder if they have this kind of service. 

Before shopping, we were invited into the office by the owner and served shrimp cocktails. Yummy! The owner sat and visited with us. See what I mean about Colombian hospitality? Are you beginning to see why I fell in love with this country?

After much browsing (and I'm sure much patience on the owner's part), I chose this ring and earrings. She had the ring sized and delivered to the hotel that night before dinner!

My new jewels!

By that time we were pooped--off to bed. Next stop--Pereira tomorrow! Stay tuned for more adventures in Colombia--my now all time favorite country!!





No comments: