Welcome To My Blog!

Adventures--how do you define one? My life has been full of adventures of all kinds-some exciting, some stressful, some funny, some exhilarating--this blog will share some of them with you.

Friday, June 3, 2011

Saying Goodbye

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
Anatole France
Bochica Tejas Santo
I've begun to say goodbye to Bochica. A few months ago he was diagnosed with cancer--cutaneous lymphosarcoma-- and it is spreading. He has meant the world to me!  Be careful what you ask for in prayer--I had prayed that I would outlive him because I was so concerned that he would get an owner that wouldn't take good care of him--and now it looks as if I will. He has tumors that are spreading along his side and under his jaw. He also is gaining weight rapidly and we aren't sure if that is fat or fluid from the tumors. The vet tells me that the favorite place for these tumors to spread to is the lining of the intestines--in that event, he will colic and I will have to "put him down". Or it could spread to his esophagus and he will begin to choke. It's as if I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. Each day I look for signs that it has spreading more rapidly.  I try to enjoy my time with him, but it is difficult. He is much more loving these days--almost as if he senses what is happening. I'm sure he does--horses are much more intuitive than we know.

I think the best way to say goodbye is to remember the good times we've had. I've said many time that I believe Bochica saved my life. I have serious lung disease and have outlived the statistics by many years. Bochica is partly to thank for that. When I bought that little horse, my life changed in so many ways! We've had quite a journey together. So I will share with you some of my fondest memories of my journey with Bochica. Stay tuned!

No comments: