Welcome To My Blog!

Adventures--how do you define one? My life has been full of adventures of all kinds-some exciting, some stressful, some funny, some exhilarating--this blog will share some of them with you.

Monday, December 5, 2011

That Elusive Owl



I've been trying for three years to get a photo of an owl. I hear them constantly. The first year I heard the Great Horned and the Barred. Since then I have only heard the Barred. I hear them when I'm trying to sleep, in the trees behind my house. One night I did see one just outside my bedroom window, capturing something on the ground. I rushed out, only to find my cat, George, spread flat on the top of my truck. Hiding from the owl, I presumed. So I scared off the owl. Drat!

I have spooked one several times while walking Rufus with the golf cart. They are absolutely silent when they fly, so I usually see them too late to get a photo. Then last week, I saw one fly across the road just in front of me. I slowed down and eased up the road. There he was, perching in a tree right by the road. I believe it was a Barred Owl. He just sat and looked at me, as if posing. Wouldn't you know it, that was the one morning I didn't have my camera with me!! I drove slowly past him and then raced to the house for my camera. Alas, when I returned, he was long gone. Drat again!!

Then a couple of days ago I spooked him again and he flew down the path below the creek. It was too wet for me to drive down there, so I missed him again. I'm not sure if this was the same one--he looked larger.

So still, no photo. My plan is to borrow a call from my nephew and try to call one up. Maybe then I can get my photo. If  so, I'll definitely post it. Wish me luck!!

Stay tuned!


No comments: