Welcome To My Blog!

Adventures--how do you define one? My life has been full of adventures of all kinds-some exciting, some stressful, some funny, some exhilarating--this blog will share some of them with you.

Saturday, December 25, 2010

Christmas in Chile

After all these years, I finally was able to attend the ballet and see the Nutcracker. We went to the theater in downtown Santiago. It was  150 years old and had been restored beautifully! This is one small part of it.

                                                              Wow!
We were lucky enough to be able to sit in one of the balcony boxes. And on top of that, I had VIP treatment. Paul's secretary had called and asked about the walking distance and stairs, and they had us drive right up to the back entrance, whisked me inside with a wheelchair right to our box and then picked me up afterwards! Downtown Santiago is beautiful, with many parks down the main boulevards. Trees are planted everywhere. We stopped by the grocery store on ther way home. Their selection of fruits and vegetables was wonderful. One interesting thing I noticed is that their checkers sit in high backed chairs. Nice!

Yesterday we went to one of their neighbors (and Paul and Dawn's co-workers) for the Feast of the Seven Fishes (an Italian tradition). Wonderful and what a nice group of people. I don't know if I have mentioned that my son is a Foreign Service Officer (the Press Officer at the American Embassy). At every gathering that I have attended, everyone without fail, has welcomed me, sat and talked to me, etc. They are a very gracious group of people. And have had so many interesting experiences! It is always such fun to attend one of their gatherings.

Even though we were stuffed when we left, that night Paul made a homemade Mexican feast (enchiladas, rice, beans, guacamole, etc. I made my second batch of pralines and Dawn and I made kolaches. The kiddos had great fun playing with the scraps of dough.

This morning we had our usual kolaches while opening presents. Paul is making a coconut cake and a pork loin, etc. for Christmas dinner.

I was so impressed by my grandchildren. They insisted that we open one of our presents first. They had lots of loot and were just as pleased with some of the little gifts as the large ones. They have played all day.

                                         Sarah, Owen and Cubby checking out the stockings!

It's time to enjoy the remainder of the day. I am heading out to the porch-beautiful weather-nice and warm!
Until later . . .

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting. It's fun to know what you all are doing! xoxo, Melissa