Welcome To My Blog!

Adventures--how do you define one? My life has been full of adventures of all kinds-some exciting, some stressful, some funny, some exhilarating--this blog will share some of them with you.

Friday, October 15, 2010

A Lesson in De-spooking Bochica

As I may have mentioned, when I bought Bochica, he was very afraid of many things. Remind you of Rufus? I seem to be destined to have spooky animals. Maybe that is my purpose in life--to de-spook them. :) Over the years I have worked many hours with Bochica, using many different objects to make him less afraid.  I have definitely become a more patient person. Wish I had owned Bochica before I had children. :) This training lesson involves two types of objects --a pom pom and swimming pool noodles. First I began with the pom pom, shaking it around him, getting it closer and closer. And by the way, Bochica didn't read the book that said you can't train horses with  treats. I have used treats very successfully to get him used to many things-- clippers, having his ears handled, etc. So first I shook the pom pom around him, all the while rewarding with treats when he stood still and lowered his head. Then I brushed it over him--at first he jumped to the side but eventually calmed down. Then I threw it over his back and then his head, all the while rewarding him with a treat when he didn't shy away. This is the final result. I decided the pom poms sounded too much like a rattlesnake, so moved on to the noodles.
Gee Mom, I look like a dork in this getup!
                                             
 First I began by setting the noodles up in the pasture and letting him get used to them. Then after a few days I led  him up to them, let him look at them and then backed him away. Then I asked him to put his nose on one of them--rewarding him with a treat each time he did it without jumping around. Finally, I opened them up a little and led him through them. I did that around 20 times, then saddled him and walked him up to them. He put his nose right on one, then I backed him up, gave him a treat from the saddle and walked him up to them again. That first day I quit on a good try. Then the second day he seemed eager to go to them. So I walked him up the first time, let him sniff, walked him up a second time, and he walked right through, calm  as a cucumber. (Are cucumbers calm?)

Success-here are a photo and a video. Next step is moving them all together and doing it again.
Gee Mom, why were you so worried? This is fun!
                                         






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice hairdo.