Welcome To My Blog!

Adventures--how do you define one? My life has been full of adventures of all kinds-some exciting, some stressful, some funny, some exhilarating--this blog will share some of them with you.

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Gdansk, Poland

We traveled by train to Gdansk, Poland,  located on the Baltic Sea.  What an experience--I was very grateful that my son and his wife were our guides and that they spoke Polish. The train station was very large and crowded. Just before each train departed, a huge board with many slots started changing rapidly-it was mind boggling!! And of course all the announcements were in rapid Polish. The only places I heard English spoken in Poland were at the Marriott where we exchanged money, very few restaurants and the American Embassy. One interesting thing to note is that we had to be very aware of pickpockets. I  wore a hidden money pouch, so I felt prepared, but was vigilant anyway. The train ride was great--we had a private compartment and it was fun to watch the scenery go by.I found it much more pleasant than driving in heavy traffic.  I took a great photograph of  Malbork Castle  as we went flying by. My knowledge of world history is pitiful--I didn't know that Poland had castles!! A surprising country.

                                                          Malbork Castle

Gdansk itself was a treasure. A huge open square dominated the area that we visited. We were in luck--a parade was forming just as we arrived-apparently some sort of church oriented parade-the main characters were a devil and an angel.
                                                    Gdansk Parade

Gdansk is famous for its amber, so naturally we visited several amber shops.   I felt wealthy-it was so reasonable--at one point I had a whole velvet lined tray filled with amber in one shop.The shops were dark inside with lights  located to enhance the beauty of the amber.  Beautifiul pieces!

And believe it or not, I met my "knight in shining armor."

                                                    My Knight in Shining Armor


Too bad he couldn't come home with me!!


 We took a launch and visited the spa town of Sopot. A pleasant day! On the way we passed through the famous shipyards that were the birthplace of Solidarity (the movement which, under the leadership of Lech Walesa, was instrumental in ending the Communist rule in Poland). It was a very moving experience-I had almost the same feeling as when I visit the Alamo in Texas.
                                                  Shipyard


                                                         

We had a very nice dinner in Gdansk that night to celebrate my birthday . The restaurant presented all the ladies with a rose. Nice! One thing to note--unlike in the U.S., every restaurant gave us all the time in the world to enjoy our meal. No hurrying us out so the next table could be seated.

We ate lunch the next day outdoors at a restaurant on the square. I had the absolutely best capachinno I have ever tasted! Inside, the decor was very neat! I took a picture of the light fixtures which were made from gourds. I planned to make one when I returned home. Of course, that is one of my many projects which I haven't started yet. :)
Anyone know of a source for large gourds?
This is me trying to figure out how it was made.

Stay tuned for another day in Warsaw!

No comments: